ACLE camps focus on providing a positive fun environment in which children can learn and play. As an ACLE trainee tutor (camp counsellor) you will be responsible for the day-to-day activities of the camps, working with your fellow trainee tutors as a team. A typical camp day starts with a morning warm-up circle where you and your fellow trainee tutors will get the children energised and ready for learning. You will then have your own class to teach, using the skills that you have gained through your orientation you will lead you class through their English language experience.
ACLE camps consist of children from a range of ages and different abilities. You will be provided training on all these levels, however once in camp you and your fellow trainee tutors will decide who is to teach which level. This means that you can experience a range of teaching or specialise in a specific level and age.
ACLE at a glance:
- Once you have completed your orientation you will immediately go into one of our ACLE camps. You need to commit to a minimum of three weeks in camp, however you are free to apply to complete the entire summer (June- September). Please check the orientation page to select the best dates for you.
- Camps run Monday to Friday 9-5 (with the exception of our residential summer camps).
- Each camp lasts either 1 or 2 weeks. At the end of each camp you will move to a new location. You could placed at one of our many camps throughout Italy.
- For the majority of camps you will stay with host families. These families open their hearts and homes to ACLE trainee tutors and are often commented as one of the best parts about the programme. For camps that do not provide host families ACLE will provide alternative accommodation.
- ACLE provides all your accommodation, food and transport whilst you are at camps. You are responsible for any other personal costs, your €200 orientation fee and your transport to orientation and from your last camp back home.
- ACLE Fondazione also provides you with a paid Study Grant, to support you financially during camps. You can view the Study Grant here.
City Camps are usually held at a local schools and the children come five days per week, generally from 9 to 5. Trainee tutors are hosted in either a flat or by a family who opens their home and hearts to them.
Summer Camps are residential and usually held in a hotel where the children come and stay for a week at a time. Trainee tutors also stay at the hotel and tutor all week with the children, providing activities such as lessons, drama, games, sports and evening activities.
High School Campus is a programme for high school students. As with our other camps, the aim of High School Campus is to provide students with a rich cultural and linguistic experience adapted to their ages, abilities, and interests.
Apply now for 2016!
Applications for summer 2016 are now open.